Crazy-GeneCoderz
Crazy-GeneCoderz
Crazy-GeneCoderz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crazy-GeneCoderz

A Place for the budding Biotechnologist

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Planning and scope
Origin of the drama & stage I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 2:26 pm by Vignesh

» MORE ABOUT SWINE FLU ........ BE AWARE n BEWAREE
Origin of the drama & stage I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 11:37 pm by Lathika

» At least 100 dead from swine flu worldwide
Origin of the drama & stage I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 11:35 pm by Lathika

» ...............SWINE FLU....................
Origin of the drama & stage I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 11:33 pm by Lathika

» Downloadable Text books : Biology
Origin of the drama & stage I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 9:25 pm by Vignesh

» A suggestion- Academic side
Origin of the drama & stage I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 8:07 pm by Vignesh

» World enviornment day on june 5th
Origin of the drama & stage I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 10:03 am by Vignesh

» Taxonomy Presentation
Origin of the drama & stage I_icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 3:44 pm by Vignesh

» The rise and diversification of the english language
Origin of the drama & stage I_icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 10:40 am by Arjun

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Poll
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Origin of the drama & stage

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Vignesh
Webmaster
Webmaster
Vignesh

Number of posts : 120
Propz :
Origin of the drama & stage Left_bar_bleue100 / 100100 / 100Origin of the drama & stage Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-02-15

Origin of the drama & stage Empty
PostSubject: Origin of the drama & stage   Origin of the drama & stage I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 1:35 pm

ORIGIN OF THE DRAMA

The modern drama traces its origins in religion, or more specifically in the church. Due to the lack of print media, it was difficult to communicate ideas and religious beliefs among the masses. Therefore on festival days, the priest selected some important incidents from the bible and presented it in the form of a play.

Thus the purpose of the drama was didactic, meaning to teach lessons and morals as well as to spread the word of religion.

The actors were the priests themselves and the drama was of a very crude form.

There was no special theatre, the theaters in the beginning were the halls of the church itself. After sometime the audience increased, so the theatre was moved over to the portico of the church. Once this location became overcrowded the priests organized drama troupes and the drama slowly came out onto open fields which were present in all church compounds in those days.

Thus the church slowly began to lose control over the drama, as more and more people copied it elsewhere for their own entertainment, the didactic content was lost as people began to modify the plays to suit their own needs.

This lead to the origin of the PLAYWRIGHT, who is a person who writes the drama, called the dramatist or the script writer, who began to write plays to draw crowds and tell stories.

SUMMARY : In this way, the drama became public property, there was loss of didactic, and the profession of the theatre was established as a new way for people with talent to make a living.

TYPES OF PLAYS

· Mystery plays: originally from the bible, involved gods and angels. Difficult to understand and impossible to believe, they were great entertainment. However there were a lack of new ideas as scenes were originally from the bible. Audience got bored.

· Miracle plays : depicted life of saints, created a fear of god in the people, and also admiration for the priests. Soon the plays branched out to produce fantastical stories on topics other than god.

· Humour plays : the origin of humour plays came with the insertion of what is known as an interlude. Interludes were short scenes put up between two scenes of the main play to lighten the mood and to keep the audience in their seats while the actors got ready. These interludes were comical in nature and provided light relief. Comedy developed different faces, like tragicomedies etc.

DEVELOPMENT OF THE DRAMA STAGE

In the beginning one corner of the church hall was the stage. This stage was on the same level as the rest of the ground, so naturally, only people close to the actors could see what was going on.

When the church became crowded, they erected a small platform so that people could see it at a distance. The actors had to shout to make their voice heard as there was a lack of loudspeaker equipment.

Slowly the troupe started improving the stage by providing curtains, interludes etc. and this setup with backgrounds gradually developed into our modern theatres.

BACKGROUND

Earlier, the actors had to describe surroundings, as there were no stage props or background. Thus actors had to memorize lengthy dialogues. Soon, they developed background, props, using such things as signboards etc. to indicate the geographical locations or kind of places the drama was taking place in.

Last edited by Vignesh on Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:47 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Spelling mistake)
Back to top Go down
Vignesh
Webmaster
Webmaster
Vignesh

Number of posts : 120
Propz :
Origin of the drama & stage Left_bar_bleue100 / 100100 / 100Origin of the drama & stage Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-02-15

Origin of the drama & stage Empty
PostSubject: Language of the drama   Origin of the drama & stage I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 1:38 pm

LANGUAGE OF THE DRAMA

Originally the drama was written In the form of poetry, as rhyming verses were easier for the actors to memorize and present. Earlier, literature was mainly in the form of poetry, it was considered to be the highest and most difficult form of the written art. Therefore poetry was easily adapted as the language of the drama, first by the priests and then by the populace at large.

Music was introduced into the drama to portray the emotions of actors, thus to give them a break in dialogue and to set the mood for the scene.

Music was also used to indicate a change in the tempo or mood of the play.

English as a language was formally recognized in the drama mostly because of the influence of Shakespeare the great poet and playwright of the fourteenth century. He introduced more prose in his drama.

Last edited by Arjun on Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:37 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : grammar mistake)
Back to top Go down

Origin of the drama & stage
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Crazy-GeneCoderz :: Academic :: English-
Jump to: