Crazy-GeneCoderz
Crazy-GeneCoderz
Crazy-GeneCoderz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crazy-GeneCoderz

A Place for the budding Biotechnologist

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Planning and scope
DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 2:26 pm by Vignesh

» MORE ABOUT SWINE FLU ........ BE AWARE n BEWAREE
DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 11:37 pm by Lathika

» At least 100 dead from swine flu worldwide
DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 11:35 pm by Lathika

» ...............SWINE FLU....................
DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 11:33 pm by Lathika

» Downloadable Text books : Biology
DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 9:25 pm by Vignesh

» A suggestion- Academic side
DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 8:07 pm by Vignesh

» World enviornment day on june 5th
DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 10:03 am by Vignesh

» Taxonomy Presentation
DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid I_icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 3:44 pm by Vignesh

» The rise and diversification of the english language
DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid I_icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 10:40 am by Arjun

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Poll
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Sreeram
Active
Active
Sreeram

Number of posts : 88
Job/hobbies : reading, sleeping, sitting simply, discussing topics of general importance in various forums, spending time with friends, posting on CGC, writing things of no importance.
Propz :
DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-02-17

DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid Empty
PostSubject: DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid   DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid I_icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 4:33 pm

HOW TO EXTRACT DNA FROM ANYTHING LIVING

First, you need to find something that contains DNA. Since DNA is the blueprint for life, everything living contains DNA.

For this experiment, we like to use green split peas. But there are lots of other DNA sources too, such as:

• Spinach
  • Chicken liver
  • Strawberries
  • Broccoli

Certain sources of DNA should not be used, such as:

• Your family pet, Fido the dog
  • Your little sister's big toe
  • Bugs you caught in the yard

DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid Window_Peas DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid GreenSplitPeas DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid Window_Blender DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid Blender DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid BlendPeas

Put in a blender:

• 1/2 cup of split peas (100ml)
  • 1/8 teaspoon table salt (less than 1ml)
  • 1 cup cold water (200ml)

Blend on high for 15 seconds.

The blender separates the pea cells from each other, so you now have a really thin pea-cell soup.
DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid Window_Straining DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid StrainingPeas DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid SoapPeas

Pour your thin pea-cell soup through a strainer into another container (like a measuring cup).

Add 2 tablespoons liquid detergent (about 30ml) and swirl to mix.

Let the mixture sit for 5-10 minutes.

Pour the mixture into test tubes or other small glass containers, each about 1/3 full.
DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid Detergent_link
DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid Window_Tenderizer DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid Mtzer DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid EnzymePower

Add a pinch of enzymes to each test tube and stir gently. Be careful! If you stir too hard, you'll break up the DNA, making it harder to see.

Use meat tenderizer for enzymes. If you can't find tenderizer, try using pineapple juice or contact lens cleaning solution.
DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid Enzyme_link
DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid Window_TestTube DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid AlcoholSep

Tilt your test tube and slowly pour rubbing alcohol (70-95% isopropyl or ethyl alcohol) into the tube down the side so that it forms a layer on top of the pea mixture. Pour until you have about the same amount of alcohol in the tube as pea mixture.

Alcohol is less dense than water, so it floats on top. Look for clumps of white stringy stuff where the water and alcohol layers meet.

DNA is a long, stringy molecule. The salt that you added in step one helps it stick together. So what you see are clumps of tangled DNA molecules!

DNA normally stays dissolved in water, but when salty DNA comes in contact with alcohol it becomes undissolved. This is called precipitation. The physical force of the DNA clumping together as it precipitates pulls more strands along with it as it rises into the alcohol.

You can use a wooden stick or a straw to collect the DNA. If you want to save your DNA, you can transfer it to a small container filled with alcohol.
DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid DNAComplete

Now that you've successfully extracted DNA from one source, you're ready to experiment further. Try these ideas or some of your own:

Experiment with other DNA sources. Which source gives you the most DNA? How can you compare them?

Experiment with different soaps and detergents. Do powdered soaps work as well as liquid detergents? How about shampoo or body scrub?

Experiment with leaving out or changing steps. We've told you that you need each step, but is this true? Find out for yourself. Try leaving out a step or changing how much of each ingredient you use.

Do only living organisms contain DNA? Try extracting DNA from things that you think might not have DNA.
Back to top Go down
priya
Webmaster
Webmaster
priya

Number of posts : 65
Job/hobbies : writing whatever that comes to my mind; sit simply; hang around with friends...
Propz :
DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid Left_bar_bleue100 / 100100 / 100DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid   DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 1:47 pm

alas!!! you are doing something worthy!!!

that was nice......
Back to top Go down
Sreeram
Active
Active
Sreeram

Number of posts : 88
Job/hobbies : reading, sleeping, sitting simply, discussing topics of general importance in various forums, spending time with friends, posting on CGC, writing things of no importance.
Propz :
DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid   DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid I_icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 11:06 am

I always do something useful for you people. I want you to be budding biotechnologists.
Back to top Go down
archie
Webmaster
Webmaster
archie

Number of posts : 48
Job/hobbies : reading,dancing n so on
Propz :

Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid   DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid I_icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 12:13 pm

yayyyyyyyyyy somethn nice...
i hope it will work out if we do it..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid   DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DNA - deoxy ribonucleic acid
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Crazy-GeneCoderz :: Academic :: Microbiology-
Jump to: